Stopping Creditor Harassment
As a resident of South Florida, are you being pursued by credit collectors? Have you fallen behind in your credit card, auto, or housing payments? Have you had to pay late or even skipped some payments? And now you are getting calls day and night; harassing, threatening, scary calls that make it so you do not want to answer the phone?
There are laws specifically addressing harassment by creditors and debt collectors laws designed to protect you, the consumer and if those laws are not followed, or are broken, you actually have the right to sue the harassers.
If you live in Miami or any of the surrounding areas and are being harassed by creditors, you need to contact a Miami bankruptcy attorney, like Michael C. Compo. Michael C. Compo knows all of the harassment techniques used by bill collectors and creditors, and he knows howto make them stop harassing you.
Limiting Creditor Harassment
Did you know that there are strict limits placed on the behavior of creditors and debt collectors? There is a federal law, called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which protects consumers from the more threatening, egregious acts of creditors. For example:
- If you tell a creditor that you have an attorney, then he or she must immediately stop contacting you directly and, instead, work through your lawyer.
- Phone calls can only be made during normal waking hours; that means it is illegal for the phone call harassment to begin before 8:00 AM and must end at 9:00 PM, with no exceptions.
- It is illegal for a creditor to call you repeatedly, such as every half an hour -- repeated phone calls in short succession are a violation of the law.
- It is also illegal for the debt collector to claim to be something that they are not, such as a lawyer.
- Once you notify the harassing debt collector, in writing, that they have to stop calling you, they must immediately cease. They will only be able to call you if there is something new and important about the situation.
Miami Creditor Harassment Attorney
Michael C. Compo is an experienced bankruptcy attorney; as such, he has encountered many of the harassment tactics employed by creditors and debt collectors, and he knows how to make them stop. Not only will the creditor harassment be brought to a halt, the creditors know that Michael C. Compo is able to file suit against them, for attorney fees and damages, if the harassment does not cease.
Contact Michael C. Compo today, for a consultation regarding creditor harassment and bringing an end to the stress. As a bankruptcy lawyer, Michael C. Compo will protect your rights and make the calls stop. Contact him, today.